Who doesn’t love chicken and noodles? Perfect on a cold day, when you feel like comfort food, and can even hit the spot when you’re sick! Not sure about you, but when I think of comfort food, I tend to think “heavy” and “unhealthy.” But comfort does not have to compromise nutrition!
I first made this on a very cold Monday night after an exhausting day at work. I just WANTED chicken and noodles! So I threw what I had together, and it turned out Ahhh…mazing! My husband gobbled up two bowls, and my picky 2 year old loved it! Luckily, I made enough to have leftovers, so it made for a couple good lunches that week.
Delish Chicken & Noodles
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 8 oz (1/4 of 12 oz bag) of whole wheat wide egg noodles
- 1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
- black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring broth and water to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Continue to boil for about 10-15 minutes (or until chicken is fully cooked)
- In the meantime, melt butter in a skillet on low-medium heat, and add minced garlic.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes (or until vegetables are tender).
- Once fully cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred on a cutting board using a fork and knife.
- Add shredded chicken back to the pot with broth. Reduce to medium heat.
- Once vegetables are tender, transfer them from the skillet to the pot. Cook on medium heat for another 10-15 minutes.
- Bring back to a boil, and stir in uncooked egg noodles. Boil for 6-8 minutes or until noodles are cooked to desired texture.
- Add parsley, and pepper to taste.
- Reduce to low heat, serve, and ENJOY!
Try this out, and let me know what you think!