Here’s a guide to create a nutrient packed lunch in 4 easy steps!
- Fresh lean meat cooked ahead of time for the week- prepare a roast, ground turkey or lean ground beef, an extra chicken breast or salmon/fish fillet
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to use for lunches for the week…minus the skin!
- Canned tuna or chicken
- Beans or hummus
- Hard boiled eggs
- Nuts or nut butters (peanut, almond, etc.)
- Low fat cheese, cottage cheese, or Greek yogurt
Gather your Grains:
- Whole wheat or rye bread (make it a sandwich!)
- Whole wheat tortilla or pita to make it at wrap!
- Whole grain crackers (for an easy snack-type lunch)
- Leftover cooked grains- prepare a batch of whole wheat pasta, brown or wild rice, or quinoa to use for the week!
Fill up with Fruit and Veggies:
- Lettuce and/or spinach to make it a salad
- Tomato, onion, peppers, lettuce, etc. to load up a sandwich
- Baby carrots, celery sticks, sugar snap peas as a “crunchy” side (instead of chips!)
- Easy “peasy” piece of fruit- apple, banana, pear, orange (no prep required!)
- Any and all favorite veggies to top salad (cherry tomatoes, broccoli florets, grated carrots, radishes, sliced cucumbers or onions, etc.)
- Berries, grapes, or dried fruit atop salad to make it sweet!
- Frozen vegetables (quick to cook and add to any dish)
Add a lil’ Healthy Fat to make it complete:
- Olive oil/vinegar, light or vinaigrette dressings for salads
- Avocado slices within a salad or sandwich
- Guacamole spread onto a sandwich
- Seeds (sunflower or pumpkin) or nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.) atop a salad
- Olive or canola oil added to cooked dishes
- Olives to top a lettuce or pasta salad
- Mayonnaise (light or made with olive oil) for sandwiches
Try these ideas!!!
Italian Chicken pasta salad= Chicken breast + Whole wheat pasta + Broccoli and cherry tomatoes + Light Italian dressing
Burrito Bowl= Ground turkey or lean ground beef (or black beans to make it vegetarian) + Brown rice + Lettuce/peppers/onion/tomatoes, salsa + Guacamole
Tuna salad wrap= Tuna + Chopped celery/grapes/onion, + Light mayo + Whole wheat tortilla + Side of baby carrots and/or sugar snap peas
Chicken Berry salad= Chicken + Lettuce/spinach + blueberries and dried cranberries + crushed pecans and vinaigrette dressing, + Side of whole wheat crackers
Meatless Cobb Salad= Hard boiled egg and/or low fat cheese + Lettuce and other favorite veggies + Croutons+ Avocado and oil/balsamic vinegar dressing
Nutty banana sandwich= Almond or peanut butter + Whole grain bread + Banana + Side of carrots and/or celery
What do you plan to eat for lunch this week? Get Creative!! Please share your flavorful and nutrient packed ideas!