Does the idea of having a healthy salad for lunch sound great, but the thought of actually making a salad each day sound daunting? You just know you won’t do it? Well, you may want to try out Mason Jar salads! Just takes a little time on the weekend to assemble a perfect on-the-go lunch for the rest of the week!
Here’s how it works:
- Add contents to mason jar as follows:
- Layer 1 (bottom)- 1-2 Tbsp. salad dressing. Consider vinaigrettes and/or homemade oil/vinegar.
- Layer 2- Hard/crunchy veggies (that won’t soak up the dressing) such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, celery, snap peas, or radishes.
- Layer 3- Soft veggies (cucumbers, mushrooms, beets, tomatoes, onions, etc.), Fruits (berries, grapes, pineapple, mandarin oranges, etc.), Grains (quinoa, rice, beans, edamame, or corn, etc.)
- Layer 4- Lettuce/greens (romaine, spinach, cabbage, sprouts, etc.)
- Layer 5 (top)- Protein (nuts/seeds, cheese, hard-boiled egg, meats, tofu, etc.). Leftover meats from dinner work great! It’s best to put this layer on the night before or day of. Other additions such as dried fruit can be added to the top later.
- When ready to eat, shake well in mason jar. Then pour ingredients onto a bowl/dish, and enjoy!
Once you try this, please share how it went, and what ingredients you used for your salad(s)!