Seems like we all inevitably stuff ourselves on Thanksgiving day… but is it worth the discomfort, guilt, and weight gain that comes with it? If you’re ready to do it differently this year, follow these tips for a healthy and happy Thanksgiving day!
- Eat regular meals throughout the day as you normally would- it’s common for most people to skip their usual meals and not eat all day in anticipation of the BIG FEAST! However, you are only setting yourself up to failure. By not eating for a long period of time, chances are you will be overly hungry, and end up over-stuffing yourself by the time dinner finally rolls around.
- Get some exercise!- whether it be a local 5k or 10k “Turkey Trot “, a long walk outside with the family, or doing some home exercises or video while the turkey cooks, a bit of movement goes a long way to burn off some of those calories and to give you some time away from all of that food!!
- Eat a snack rich in fiber and/or protein prior to Thanksgiving dinner- to help curb your appetite, eat a satisfying snack 1-2 hours prior to the meal such as vegetables (veggie trays are great!), hummus, an apple or other fruit, yogurt or string cheese.
- Stay hydrated- In addition to drinking water throughout the day to stay hydrated, drink 1-2 large glasses of water just prior to the meal. This will help fill you up so there is less room in your belly for all of that food!
- Fill up on the good stuff! Include salad and/or a cooked vegetable at the meal. Try to either fill up on that first and/or fill half of your plate with vegetables. Then add the turkey and all of those starches (mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and stuffing) to the other half.
- Be Thankful!- Remember what the day is all about! It’s a time to be thankful for all of your blessings, and to enjoy time with family and friends. Focus on the good conversations, the laughter, and company of everyone around you. When it comes to the food, be thankful for that too! Eat slowly and savor the flavor of every bite! Not sure about you, but I find it’s a lot more enjoyable to feel SATISFIED (not STUFFED) at the end of the day!