Are you a snacker? Maybe you have a sweet tooth, or perhaps, you crave salty, or crunchy foods? Snacks between meals can stave off hunger and cravings, and can fit into a healthy diet plan. Whatever you’ve got a hankering for, I’ve got the snacks to satisfy!
Got a Sweet tooth? Try these:
- High fiber fruit such as an orange, berries, or grapes (try frozen grapes for a cold treat!).
- 1/2 cup of high fiber cereal (such as bran or oatmeal) with cinnamon to sweeten, and low fat milk.
- 2-3 graham cracker squares with 1-2 Tbsp of natural peanut or almond butter
- If you are really craving chocolate, go ahead and have 1 oz of dark chocolate (atleast 60% dark cacao, but the higher the percentage, the better to reap the antioxidant benefits). Eat it slowly and savor!
If Salty is your thing, try these:
- 3 cups of popcorn either lightly salted or with a favorite flavor/seasoning such as garlic powder, chili powder, or a little grated parmesan cheese.
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) of your favorite nuts such as peanuts, almonds, pistachios, or walnuts. Because nuts are high in fat, be sure to portion them out so you don’t overdo it on the calories!
- Low fat cottage cheese with tomato slices
- Lightly salted edamame (soybeans)
Can’t decide between Sweet and Salty? Try these:
- 1/4 cup trail mix with your favorite nuts, seeds, and dried fruit
- Dark chocolate dipped pretzels. Portion out just a small handful!
If you want Smooth/creamy, try these:
- Naturally sweetened Greek yogurt for a protein-packed treat!
- Smoothie made with low fat or almond milk, yogurt, and your favorite fruit
If you want a Crunch, try these:
- Apple slices or celery sticks with 1-2 Tbsp of natural peanut or almond butter
- Baby carrots, sugar snap peas, or bell peppers dipped in hummus or guacamole
Got a favorite snack to satisfy a craving? Please share!